RAW MINI PECAN PIES
Posted on December 06 2018
HEALTHY GUT LOVING TREATS
These mini raw pecan pies are gluten free, grain free, dairy free, refined sugar free, and vegan .... and they also taste awesome!
The last few months I’ve loved experimenting with raw desserts and treats for my family that are as gut loving as possible. Naturally, I choose to add homemade yogurt where ever I can creatively imagine. My latest kitchen obsession is experimenting with fillings made from blended nuts and homemade probiotic coconut yogurt and I’m so excited to bring you one of my favourite creations; these, date sweetened, raw pecan pies. They’re super simple - all you need to make these treats is a food processor or blender. I used our coconut yogurt made with Ayam coconut cream, but they would also work well with our gut loving coconut yogurt, (although this recipe is not vegan).
Makes – 24 mini pies
¼ cup whole raw or activated almonds
1 cup pecans
4 large medjool dates – seeds removed and chopped
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
40 grams coconut oil - melted
COCONUT SPICE FILLING
¾ cup raw cashews (see soaking instructions below)
6 medjool dates – seeds removed and chopped
¾ cup homemade coconut yogurt (avoid the coconut water as much as possible)
1/3 cup soft coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ground powdered ginger
¼ teaspoon fine Himalayan salt
24 pecan halves to decorate
Cacao powder to dust (optional)
1. Soak the raw cashews in 3 cups of water with 1 teaspoon of salt for approx. 4 hours. The cashews will soften but will also become more nutritious. Why? - read the benefits of soaking nuts and grains
2. Blitz all the base ingredients in your blender or food processor until a sticky crumb. Be careful not to over blend and leave a few coarse nut crumbs for texture. (If using a high speed blender, pulse a few times to prevent the nuts turning to nut-butter)
3. Spoon teaspoons of the nut crumb mixture into paper patty pans or small silicon muffin moulds and press down with the back of a teaspoon to form a base.
4. Place in the fridge until the filling is ready.
COCONUT SPICE FILLING
5. Drain the cashews in a colander then rinse under running water to remove the salt. Tap the colander to remove as much water as possible.
6. Combine the cashews and dates in the blender jug or food processor and blend to form a paste. Add the remaining filling ingredients and continue to blend until smooth. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides as you blend.
7. Remove the bases from the fridge.
8. Spoon the yogurt spice filling mixture onto the bases. When the whole tray is full, lightly jiggle and tap the trays to ensure the mixture has completely filled the cases and is without pockets of air.
9. Garnish with a pecan nut and then lightly dust with cacao powder.
10. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
11. Push the pecan pies out of the trays and store in an air tight container in the fridge for 1 week. Keep pies in the fridge as they quickly become soft in warm weather.
PIN THIS RECIPE