PINK PICK ME UP. AMAZING NUTTY BEETROOT TRAIL MIX
Posted on October 27 2016
Move over fruit and nuts because veggies and nuts are here!
And isn't this the prettiest trail mix you have ever seen? All au naturel colour from nature’s sweetest vegetable; the humble beetroot.
With your eyes shut, you would never know it’s there. You really can’t taste it. So don't be surprised if your kids even put a hand in for more. Stopping at one handful is nearly impossible. Nutty beetroot trail mix is seriously delicious.
And this divine medley of ingredients is chock full of with nutritional goodness too.
Beetroot alone, is full of vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants as well as a great source of folic acid, fibre, manganese and potassium. Mixed up with all those cashews, fresh coconut and seeds, you have a superior pre-biotic snack that is also anti-inflammatory, immune boosting and detoxifying.
Dehydrated for a long time at low temperature, the nutrients remain intact and abundant.
This recipe can also be made in a low oven on trays overnight. Unfortunately, and I don’t know why, but my oven batch didn’t retain that wonderful, vibrant magenta colour. It was still yummy, but it came out brownish. Personally I just love the pink and I know my kids first tried it based on the colour. A dehydrator is a valuable investment.
- 2 cups freshly grated coconut flesh
- 2 beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of raw honey
- 1 tablespoon of white chia seeds (optional)
- 2 cups activated cashews roughly chopped (soak in water with 2 teaspoons of salt for 4-6 hours)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
2. Sprinkle the mixture onto lined dehydrator trays.
Tip 1 – Air needs to circulate throughout the trays, so don’t put too much on each tray.
Tip 2 – Leave mixture in clumps so that you end up with nutty clusters.
3. Dehydrate overnight on low or until the trail mix is crisp and dry
Nutty beetroot trail mix will last several months in air-tight jars.