Before making Natto be sure the entire process, including all utensils, pots, cheese cloth, etc. are as sterile as possible. (Boil utensils for 5 minutes prior to using.)
The jar of natto spores comes with a special small spoon; be sure to use the small spoon to measure the appropriate quantity for the recipe.
500g soybeans or black bean, lentil
2 tsp water, boiled for 5 to 10 minutes to sterilise
1 spoonful Natto Powder (use the special spoon that comes with the Natto Spores)
1. Wash the soybeans and soak for 12 hours.
2. Drain the beans from the soaking water.
3. Place beans in a pressure cooker, fill with water and boil for 20mins until very soft.
4. Drain the cooked beans and place in a sterilized pot.
5. Dissolve one special spoonful of natto spores into 2 teaspoons of sterilized water. Immediately pour the natto spore solution over the beans while the beans are still warm. Stir the beans and water mixture together carefully using a sterilized spoon.
6. Place the sterilized cheese cloth over the top of the containers and place the tight-fitting lid over the cheese cloth.
7. Allow the natto to ferment for 24 hours at 100°F.
8. Let the natto cool for a couple of hours, then store the containers in the refrigerator at least overnight. Smaller portions of finished natto can be stored in the freezer and thawed for later use.
Serve with short grain brown rice, green tea, Chinese cabbage kimchi, beetroot kimchi, natto pancake and roasted seaweed. 😘😅