DATE SWEETENED COCONUT & CASHEW YOGHURT
Posted on April 27 2017
This cashew and coconut combo is a nutritional powerhouse.
I am really excited about this homemade dairy free and vegan yoghurt. It tastes amazing and is so simple to make. This recipe is guaranteed, perfect, tub set, creamy yoghurt with no additional thickeners required!
Coconut & cashew yoghurt is rich in unsaturated fatty acids, plant-based protein, dietary fibre and minerals; like copper, zinc and magnesium. It even delivers antioxidants and electrolytes too.
The gut loving, dietary fibre in coconut milk and cashews will nurture your gut lining, benefit digestion and aid nutrient absorption.
Coconut & cashew yoghurt is a hearty option that may even help with weight loss. You should feel full for longer and less inclined to snack thanks to the protein and good fats. You also may find you only need to eat a smaller amount compared with pure coconut milk yoghurt.
Sweetened with nature’s most delicious fibre-filled fruit, the medjool date, this yoghurt is a treat for both your taste buds and your digestion.
Thoroughly wash or sterilise your yoghurt container and whisk with boiling water.
- 2 tins coconut milk (I use Ayam)
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 medjool dates, chopped
- pinch of salt
- yoghurt starter culture
1. Soak the cashews in water with a pinch of salt for 6 hours or overnight.
2. Drain and rinse the cashews.
3. Put the cashews, coconut milk and dates into a high speed blender and blend for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
4. Pour the mixture into your yoghurt making bowl.
5. Add the amount of yoghurt starter culture specified on the packet and stir with a hand whisk to combine.
6. Put the lid on the yoghurt-making bowl and insert into the yoghurt maker.
7. Set to ferment for 12 hours.
8. After 12 hours the fermentation is complete. Place the tub in the fridge for at least 6 hours to chill.
When set, coconut and cashew yoghurt can be enjoyed with both sweet and savoury dishes.